12/27/2013

"Jenna & Luke" - Chapter 3

“Playing chef this morning?” Luke asked Kevin when he entered his bedroom Sunday morning. The scent of bacon had penetrated the house for a few minutes, making his mouth water.
“Yeah, I figured we deserve a treat. How do you feel today?”
“I’m good, I slept really well.”
“You okay with eating breakfast in your PJ’s and then shower and get dressed? The food is ready.”
“Sounds like a good plan to me.”
Kevin got Luke settled into his wheelchair and hung his bed bag on a hook on the side of the chair; he’d switch it to a leg bag after Luke’s shower. He left the PRAFO braces on his feet, but replaced the bulky overnight splints on his wrists with his daytime splints so he’d be able to eat.
“How’s your neck today? Need the collar or a painkiller?”
“Still aches, but not as bad as yesterday. Put the collar on for now, and I’ll see how I feel later. I’d like to lose it before my date with Jenna, but I can’t take a painkiller since I’m driving. It’s not like she can pick me up. My chair definitely won’t fit in her Prius.”
“You’re seeing her again today?” Kevin asked as he fitted the collar around Jake’s neck.
“Yeah, we’re going down to Venice Beach, I’m picking her up at noon.” Luke told Kevin as he followed him into the kitchen. He settled in by the table while Kevin loaded their plates with scrambled eggs and bacon and brought them over.
“That’s awesome. I take it your date went well?” Kevin had been out with friends the previous night, so another assistant had come to help Luke in the evening.
“Very well. She seemed a bit stunned when I told her I need assistance to get in and out of bed, but she recovered fast and claims she’s cool with my disability. We’ll see how it works out…” Luke shrugged and turned his focus to eating.
“She wants to see you again, so that’s a good sign.”
“I suppose so. I’m a bit nervous about how she’ll react to being with me in public. People do stare and I don’t exactly blend well with a crowd. I’ve gotten past caring, but I’m sure it can be uncomfortable for Jenna.”
“I know, but it’s something she’ll have to learn how to deal with,” Kevin said matter-of-factly.
“True. I just don’t wanna fuck this up. This is the first time since the accident I’m dating someone and I have to admit I’m falling for this woman.”

Jenna double-checked the contents of the picnic basket she had prepared to make sure she had everything. She checked the time and decided to head outside to wait for Luke; he was picking her up. She wondered what sort of car he had and how he was even able to drive. It hit her that maybe one of his assistants would drive him. Ugh, that could be awkward.
A few minutes later she got her answer when a large black van came down the street and pulled up to the curb where she was waiting. Luke rolled down the window.
“Hey,” he said with a smile. “Jump in.”
Jenna complied and settled into the front passenger seat. She looked at Luke; she realized he was in his wheelchair and the van was fitted with hand controls and some other adaptations. She impulsively leaned over and kissed him.
“I can get used to this,” he said with a grin when Jenna pulled away.
“Ditto,” Jenna said with a smile as she buckled her seatbelt. Luke pulled into the street and she looked over at him. He was wearing the same worn jeans and sneakers he’d worn the previous evening, with a slightly faded navy blue polo shirt. He wasn't wearing the collar he'd worn the previous evening. “Is your neck better today?”
“It’s getting there, I’ve got the collar with me in case it flares up again. Since I’m driving taking painkillers that makes me fuzzy isn’t an option.”
“Good. I really hope you feel better soon.”
“Thanks. I’m used to it, my neck always hurts a bit, so…” Luke shrugged, then he turned his attention to the basket in Jenna’s lap. “What’s in the basket?”
“Lunch. You’re in for a treat Mr. Hillbrook.”
“Lookin’ forward to it,” Luke grinned.
Luke couldn’t stop a smile from spreading across his face as he and Jenna strolled along the boardwalk in Venice Beach. Jenna was carrying the picnic basket in her left hand and she’d grabbed his left hand with her right. It felt a bit surreal that he was walking, well rolling, hand in hand with a beautiful woman. It felt so normal and he couldn’t remember the last time he’d felt that happy. Jenna was definitely the best thing that had happened to him in a long time. It felt like it was too good be true and he wondered when the bubble would burst.
“How about some lunch?” Jenna’s voice pulled him back to reality. “There’s a picnic table over there.”
“Sounds good to me,” replied Luke.
They made their way to the picnic table and Jenna unpacked the basket and then she gave Luke a rundown of the menu.
“Okay, we’ve got chicken quesadillas, wraps with cream cheese, lettuce and a spicy sausage, potato skins with cheddar and bacon, buffalo wings and mini pizzas with marinated beef and chili. All finger foods.”
Luke’s heart sank and he couldn’t suppress a sigh.
“What’s the matter?” Jenna asked, worry lacing her voice.
“Finger foods aren’t great when your fingers doesn’t work,” he said quietly, his cheeks reddening.
“Shit! I just didn’t think about that. I’m sorry, Luke.”
“It’s okay, Jenna. I used to think finger foods were very convenient too.”
Jenna turned her attention to the picnic basket and after searching for a few moments later she found what she was looking for; a knife and a fork.
“What do you want, Luke? I’ll cut it for you and you can use the fork to eat. Will that work.”
“Sounds good,” Luke said. He was a bit embarrassed that she had to cut his food, but Jenna seemed to take it in a stride and he decided to follow her lead. “Um…I’ll start with a quesadilla and one of the potato skins, please.”
Jenna put a quesadilla and a potato skin on a paper plate and cut both into bite-sized pieces.
“Can you reach the table okay?” Jenna asked as she placed the plate in front of him. She left the fork on the plate.
Luke adjusted the position of his chair so he was as close to the table as possible and then he reached for the fork and attached it to his right hand splint. He was a bit farther from the table than he liked, so it was a bit awkward, but he managed.
“I’ll manage,” he said as he brought a piece of quesadilla to his mouth. “Wow! This is really good.”
“I’m glad you like it. It’s my grandma’s recipe.”
“I like that it’s spicy, but not too spicy if you know what I mean.”
“I’m glad you like them. Sarah thinks they’re too spicy.”
“I like spicy food, especially Indian food.”
“I don’t think I’ve ever had Indian food,” Jenna admitted.
“Really? We’ll have to do something about that. I’ll take you to my favorite Indian restaurant. The food is to die for and best of all; it's accessible.”
“Sounds great.”
Luke had finished his quesadilla and potato skin and he asked Jenna for another quesadilla, a pizza and a couple of Buffalo wings. They kept conversation light as they finished their meal. After about half an hour Jenna packed the remaining food into the basket and threw away their paper plates in a nearby trashcan.
….
Jenna resumed her position on Luke’s left side and grabbed his left hand as they headed back toward his car. She noticed that people were staring at them; many of them had pity in their eyes. Jenna did her best to ignore them, but it annoyed her that people couldn’t stop themselves from gawking at them like they were some kind of freak show. Suddenly an ice cream parlor caught her attention.
“Ice cream!” she exclaimed excitedly.
“I take it you want a cone?”
“Definitely? How ‘bout you?”
“Another thing that doesn’t work well with paralyzed fingers.”
“Wanna share one? I’ll get a spoon and feed you.” Jenna suggested while she waggled her eyebrows.
“Umm…sure…if you’re okay with that.”
“Our tongues were touching not long ago. I think I can handle sharing a cone of ice cream with you.”
Luke chuckled. “True.”
“Chocolate or vanilla?”
“A swirl?”
“I love how you think,” Jenna grinned and held up the picnic basket. “Can you keep an eye on this while I’m inside?”
“Put it in my lap. I’ll wait by the bench over there and save you a seat.”
Jenna put the picnic basket in Luke’s lap and then she leaned down and kissed him on the lips before she turned and headed into the ice cream parlor.
There were a few people in line and as she waited Jenna glanced out the window and watched Luke make his way across the boardwalk to the bench. He’d draped his left arm over the picnic basket and he looked relaxed and happy. She realized she felt relaxed and happy too. Then an unfamiliar voice got her attention.
“It must be hard. How do you manage?”
“Excuse me?” Jenna turned toward the unfamiliar voice and found her self face-to-face with a woman that appeared to be in her late fifties or early sixties.
“Staying with your man after he got injured, that's pretty amazing. I would’ve left.”
Jenna was shocked by the ladies bluntness and for a few moments she was speechless.  Then she felt her anger rise and she had to work hard to keep her temper in check. She took a deep breath before she spoke.
“Not that it’s any of your business, but I’m not 'sticking around'. We are on our third date and we just met a couple of weeks ago.”
“But…a beautiful young woman like yourself could do so much better…why settle for someone like that?”
“I think you should mind your own business. I don’t feel like I’m settling, I’m lucky to be on a date with that amazing man.”
Jenna was thankful that it was her turn to order and she didn’t have to endure further conversation with the lady. She shot her a dirty look before she turned around to place her order. Jenna got her large swirl cone, grabbed a plastic spoon, a few napkins and headed back to Luke. He smiled and attempted to wave at her when he saw her.
...
Luke noticed that Jenna looked tense when she came out of the ice cream shop. He wondered what had happened to upset her, but he had a feeling about what it was. He had noticed how the older lady that had stepped into the shop right after Jenna had looked at them when Jenna kissed him.
“Sorry it took so long, there was a bit of a line and one of the people ahead of me had three kids that all had crazy orders.”
“That’s fine. I’ve been people watching. Are you okay? Something seems to be bothering you.”
“It’s nothing.”
“Don’t do that. What did that old lady say?”
“What? How’d you know it was her?”
“I noticed the look she gave us when we kissed.”
“She said I’m amazing for sticking with you and when I told her we’d just started going out she told me I shouldn’t settle. That a beautiful woman like me could get anyone I want.”
“You’d better get used to it. I haven’t been in a relationship since the accident, but I know how people react to me. Stares and rude and ignorant comments comes with the territory.”
“I just wasn’t prepared for that at all. I’ve noticed that people stare and that I can deal with. Strangers having the gall to tell me I shouldn’t be with you… I don’t know… I guess I didn’t see that coming.”
Luke took a deep breath and sighed while he tried to gather his thoughts. He didn’t really know how to respond, he dealt with prejudice on a daily basis and at a point he had stopped caring. It had taken him a long time to get there and he hoped Jenna would get there too. He just hoped it wasn’t too much to ask for.
“I know it’s not pleasant, but it’s the harsh reality of how people perceive me, Jenna. What was the first thing you noticed about me?”
“Your wheelchair,” Jenna admitted. “It’s kind of hard to miss.”
“Exactly. And some people manage to get past it, I guess they just file it in the same category as the color of my eyes or what I’m wearing, and treat me normally. Others let my disability color every perception they have about me. I’ve worked for the same company for four years now and I have several co-workers that are awkward and stiff around me, even after all these years.”
Jenna didn’t answer and they just sat in a slightly awkward silence for a few moments, until Luke realized they had forgotten about the ice cream cone and it was starting to melt.
“Hey, are we eating that ice cream or are you going to let it melt?”
“Oh shit, we got so wrapped up in conversation, I forgot all about it. Here,” Jenna fed Luke a spoonful of ice cream and then she had one herself. “This is really good,” she exclaimed after she’d swallowed the first spoonful. Luke nodded in agreement and Jenna fed him another spoonful of ice cream.
Luke pulled up to the curb outside Jenna’s building and turned off the engine. Jenna wished their time together wasn’t coming to an end, but she had to tackle a couple of loads of laundry and she had promised her mother to call her as well.
“Thanks for a wonderful afternoon,” she said and leaned over and kissed him soundly; he eagerly reciprocated and did his best to wrap an arm around her. When they pulled apart they were both panting slightly.
“Thank you. This was definitely the best Sunday I’ve had in a long time,” Luke said sincerely.
“Will I see you at Starbuck’s tomorrow for lunch?”
“Definitely. Noon?”
“Sounds good to me. Have a good evening.”
“You too. I’ll see you tomorrow.”




4 comments:

  1. I love it! I`m waiting impatiently for the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your feedback :-) I've been trying to write updates for the other two stories, but my imagination is filled with Jenna and Luke. I'm having so much fun writing this couple.

      Delete
    2. I`m waiting for your every story, hope you post today :-)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful and sweet. Can't wait for their next date.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers - any feedback is welcome as long as it's constructive. Thanks for reading! :-)