1/25/2016

"It's a wrap!" - chapter 10

WEEK TWENTYTWO
I’m at the airport in Toronto. We’ve wrapped the first episode of season five and I’m on my way to LA. I can’t wait to see Meg and the kids again. I miss them a lot and I’m impatient to get home. To be honest I’m a way less enthusiastic about our new scheduling now than I was when I agreed to it.  Two weeks is a long time to be separated from my family, but at least I’ve got a whole week at home with them to look forward to.
“Here’s your boarding pass, Mr. Ramsay,” the check in agent says, pulling me back to the present. “And your passport and luggage receipt. Please get to the gate early, we prefer to board passengers that require assistance first.”
“Thank you,” I say as place the passport and boarding pass in my lap. “I’m aware of the boarding procedure.”
“Have a nice flight,” she says before she turns to the next passenger.
I make my way through security quickly and after checking the screens to find out which gate my flight is leaving from I head in that direction.  I still have an hour and a half ‘til boarding is supposed to start and I’m hungry, so I decide to grab a bite to eat.
. . .
My flight arrive at LAX at five in the afternoon. I’m immensely relieved when my wheelchair is waiting for me on the jetway.  I quickly put the cushion in place and transfer to it under the close supervision of the traveler’s assistance staff.  When I’m safely settled in my chair one of them hand me my backpack and I put it on. I thank them for their assistance and place my hands on the rims. Just as I’m about to start making my toward the terminal a member of staff approaches me with a shy look on her face.
«Mr.Ramsay? I’m sorry to bother you, but I’ve been a fan of you for a long time. Could I have your autograph please?»
I stop and quickly flick on the brakes of my chair to prevent rolling back down to the plane. «Sure,» I say with a smile. «What do you want me to sign?»
«Oh, crap…» she mutters with a flustered look on her face. «Um, I’ll run up to the desk at the gate and grab a piece of paper.»
«Hold on for a sec,» I say, as I pull my backpack into my lap. After a few moments of digging I find what I’m looking for. A manila envelope with promo pics for season five of ‘Dean and Dad’. I pull out a shot of me and ask her what her name is as I grab a Sharpie from the front pocket of my backpack.
«Amanda,» she says with a smile.  I sign the picture with a personal greeting and hand it to her. She beams. «Thank you so much. Um, I’m probably stretching my luck here, but would you mind taking a selfie with me too?»
«Of course not,» I say as I tuck the envelope and Sharpie back into the backpack and put it on again.  Amanda gets her phone out and asks one of her co-workers to take our picture.  When we’re done she thanks me again and I make my way towards baggage claim.

I’ve barely made it into the arrivals hall when Meg elbows her way through the crowd and comes running toward me. Moments later she’s in my lap, straddling me and hugging me tightly. After she has kissed me soundly she finally gets up and grabs my duffle bag, which has been wedged between us, and we make our way toward the exit. I’m slightly embarrassed by our public display of affection, but mostly I’m happy and looking forward to seeing the kids again.
After we’re settled into the car I ask Meg about the kids. I’m a bit surprised they didn’t come with her to pick me up.
“They’re with Joel. They went down to his place after school to get help with their homework and refused to come with me when I came down to get them. They were in the middle of playing some sort of video game. Joel got mouth operated game controller and he seems to have a blast playing with the kids.”
“How’s he doing? Something felt a bit off when I talked to him last week.”
“I think he’s just a bit tired of constantly arranging his care, which has been a bit of a challenge for the past couple of weeks. A couple of days after you went to Toronto Jerry quit and the next day George’s mother had a heart attack so he took some time off to visit his family in Oregon.”
“Ah, that explains it. Is he hiring someone to replace Jerry?”
“He mentioned that Kevin is wants to work more hours if possible, so Joel is considering giving him Jerry’s hours. They seem to get a long really well and Joel won’t have to go through the process of training a new guy and getting to know him.”
“Makes sense to me,” I say before I change the subject. “So, how do you feel about the new scheduling and me being away for two weeks at a time?”
Meg sighs deeply. Not good. I bet she hates it as much as I do, but we’ll have to deal with it for the next eight months or so.
“Honestly I’m not thrilled about it. These past two weeks felt like a really long time. I get that it’s better for you since air travel is more of a hassle now, but I don’t necessarily think it’s a good thing for our family.”
“I get it,” I say with a deep sigh. “I’m not thrilled about it either, but we don’t have much of a choice except to deal with it for the next eight months. At least I’m here for a full week now. That’s something, right?”
“It is. And I have to say that Joel has been a great help. I know I was hesitant about him moving in to the guesthouse, but I don’t think I would’ve gotten through the past couple of weeks without Joel. He’s amazing with the kids and most his PCAs are too. Them looking after the kids for a few hours here and there so I could have some time to myself has really made a difference and thanks to that I think we’ll make this work.”
I can’t stop a sigh of relief from escaping me. “I’m so glad to hear that, I really am.”
. . .
When Meg pulls into our driveway a grin spreads across my face. The kids are waiting for us and they’ve put up a colorful banner that says “Welcome home Dad!” over the front door. I assume Joel’s PCA has helped them with that. As soon as Meg stops the car they tear the passenger door open and before I know it I both my kids are climbing into my lap and hugging me.
“I guess you’ve missed me,” I say as I wrap my arms around them and pull them close.
“You’ve been away for like forever,” Jacklyn says and Jay echoes her statement.
“Not forever, two weeks,” I say. “But I’ve missed you too.”
After a few minutes of hugging and chatting the kids finally climb off my lap and get out of the car. I’m a little surprised when Meg places my wheelchair next to me with a smile on her face. Although she’s been amazingly accepting and supportive since I got injured, but this is the first time she has actually taken the parts of my wheelchair out of the car and assembled it. It makes me happy that we keep moving forward and adjust to our new normal.

TBC…
More to come soon, I promise. -Maddie 

3 comments:

  1. YES, finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was hoping you'd finally update the story, still love it and check your blog super often,thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Millemini? This is call2wrshp. I remember you from CA fanfic! Wondered where you went. So glad to have found you. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers - any feedback is welcome as long as it's constructive. Thanks for reading! :-)