9/14/2013

Finding Unexpected Love - Chapter 2


Bryan was nervous as they walked around the corner and down the block toward Mr. Yiu’s. He had seen the color drain from Meaghan’s face when she realized he was in a wheelchair, but she’d recovered from the shock pretty fast and insisted she wanted to get to know him. He was curious about what she did for a living. She was dressed in a pair of dark skinny jeans and a black top with a gray, tailored blazer; her dark hair was pulled into a sleek ponytail. She looked very professional and Bryan wondered if she was a lawyer or maybe worked in finance. Before he could ponder more about it they reached the restaurant; he held the door open and allowed Meaghan to enter and then he followed her inside.

“Welcome to Mr. Yiu’s, table for two?” the host greeted them, as he grabbed two menus.

“Yes please,” Bryan said with a smile. They followed him to a table by the windows.

“Would you like me to remove a chair for you, sir?”

“That would be great, thanks.”

After he’d helped Meaghan with her chair he removed a chair so Bryan could access the table and left two menus on the table for them.  They both grabbed a menu and studied them in silence. 

-------------------------

“So, what do you do for a living?” Meaghan asked him after the waitress had taken their orders. Bryan was relieved that she took the initiative to break the somewhat awkward silence.

“I’m a doctor. Oncology fellow at Georgetown University Hospital. What about you?”

“Architect. I work for Weston & Co. Property Development.”

“Really? That’s cool. My older brother is a structural engineer, he specializes in bridges. Have you always wanted to be an architect?”

“I’ve always been fascinated by art, design, architecture...stuff like that, but I’m also strong in math and science-related subjects. My high school counselor suggested that I majored in architecture in college and I ended up following her advice. I loved it and moved straight into a masters program after I graduated. I graduated from Colombia about five years ago and I’ve worked for Weston & Co since then. I love my job. What about you? Always wanted to be a doctor?”

“Growing up I really wanted to join the Air Force. Unfortunately I didn’t fill the physical requirements; I get fierce migraines from time to time. I’m normally able to control them with medications if I catch them before they escalate, but that’s not good enough for the Air Force so...” Bryan shrugged, then noticed the puzzled look on Meaghan’s face and realized that she probably thought his wheelchair had stopped him. He decided not to address it and jumped back into story-telling mode. “I ended up studying pre-med in college and I moved on to med-school after graduation. I guess being a doctor is kind of in my blood. My grandfather on Dad’s side of the family was a doctor and Dad’s a cardiac surgeon. Mom’s a nurse.”

“Were you pressured to follow in their footsteps?”

“Not at all. I’ve got four siblings, but I’m the only doctor of us. As I said, my older brother is a structural engineer. I also have a younger brother; he’s in college, studying computer science, and a younger sister who’s an actress. Well, I think being a waitress pays her bills, but she’s managed to get a few minor parts.”

“On screen or stage?”

“TV mainly. She lives in LA. I think her life consists of waiting tables and going to auditions. My parents wish she’d get a ‘real’ job and stop messing around, but I actually think it’s great that she’s following her dream. I couldn’t live like she does though; I need my life to be more predictable.”

“I think we’re on the same page there then; I admire people that have the guts to follow their dreams like that. A friend of mine dreams about making a living off her art, but she works part time at Target and does waitressing gigs at weddings and other events. I need stability and I need to know that I have a paycheck coming every month.”

Bryan smiled. He really liked Meaghan and she seemed to like him too; despite the fact that he was tired and his back was hurting he was enjoying himself.

--------------------------

The more she listened to Bryan speak the more Meaghan realized she liked him. A lot. From the little she knew about him he seemed to have a great personality; he was definitely smart and he seemed like a warm and empathic person. All qualities she appreciated in a man. The fact that Bryan was ruggedly handsome was also a huge plus. She was curios about his disability; when he’d revealed that he hadn’t been able to join the Air Force because he didn’t meet their physical requirements she’d been sure it was because of his wheelchair. That it was because he was prone to get migraines was not the explanation she’d expected at all. Part of her wanted to ask him about why he was in a wheelchair, but she had a feeling it would be a bad idea to push the subject. It was probably something Bryan would tell her when he was ready to do so.

“Do you have any plans tomorrow evening?” Bryan’s dark voice pulled her out of her reverie.

“Not really, unless you count veg’ing on my couch while watching chick flicks as plans. I haven’t had a weekend of in a while, so I was planning to take it easy.”

“Sounds like our weekend plans are similar. What about cancelling on your couch tomorrow evening? Would you like to have dinner with me again? I’ll even throw in a movie if you’re game.”

“Dinner and a movie? I’d love to,” Meaghan beamed. She was all aflutter that Bryan wanted to spend more time with her so soon.

“Any preferences movie-wise? I usually reserve tickets so don’t have to worry about getting an accessible seat.”

“I’m not a huge fan of horror movies, but other than that I don’t have any preferences.”

“I’m not a huge fan of those either, but I do enjoy a good action movie.”

“What about the new ‘Die Hard’ movie? Have you seen that?”

“No I haven’t, but I want to see it. I’ll try to get us tickets to that.”

“Awesome!”

The rest of the dinner was filled with light banter and because they were both tired they called it a night after Bryan had settled the check, against Meaghan’s arguments. She’d wanted to pay her part of it, but Bryan hadn’t budged. -----------------------

When they were out on the sidewalk Bryan turned to Meaghan.

“Where are you parked?”

“I rode with Kel, so I’ll have to get a cab. If I remember correctly there’s a cabstand a couple of blocks from here.”

“Where do you live?”

“In Georgetown, on M street.”

“I’ll give you a ride home. I live in Adams Morgan, so it’s not much of a detour for me.”

“If it’s not too much trouble that would be great.”

“I wouldn’t offer if it was,” Bryan said with a sincere smile. “I’m parked right outside the bar we met at.”

They made their way back to the bar in silence and Bryan wheeled to the drivers side of a black Audi sedan with permanent disabled plates that was parked in a handicapped parking spot.

“I’ll get in first, it’s easier to stash the chair in the back seat if I don’t have to worry about taking your head off,” he said as he unlocked the car and opened the drivers door. 

Meaghan tried not to stare as he lifted his legs off the footrest and then transferred to the drivers seat and lifted his legs into the car. It was clear that he couldn’t move them at all. After he was settled into the drivers seat he disassembled his wheelchair and placed it in the back seat with swift, practiced movements. 

“All set,” he said with a smile a few minutes later. Meaghan climbed into the passenger seat and buckled her seatbelt.

------------------------------- 

As soon as Meaghan entered her apartment in Georgetown she flopped down on the couch, dug her iPhone out of her handbag and called Kelly. 

She answered the call on the third ring. “Meaghan! How was he?” 

“Hi Kel,” Meaghan greeted her best friend with a laugh. “Come on Megs, spill it!”

“He’s great. We ended up eating dinner at Mr. Xiu’s and I have to admit this is the best first date I’ve been on for a while. He even drove me home.” 

“Really? What did I tell ya’? Speed dating isn’t such a bad idea.” 

“Hopefully I won’t have to do that again. Bryan and I are going out again tomorrow evening. Dinner and a movie.” 

“Oh my gosh! Megs that’s amazing!!! What does he do for a living?” 

“He’s a doctor, oncology fellow at Georgetown University Hospital.” 

“Wow! Good looks and a doctor? You really scored!” Meaghan laughed. She decided to not mention Bryan’s disability to Kelly. She had a tendency to be judgmental and Meaghan was pretty sure she’d tell her to dump Bryan before they’d even been on their second date if she knew he was in a wheelchair. 

“I really think I did. Now that I’ve put you out of your misery I’m going to bed. I’m absolutely beat.” 

“I’m going to bed too. G’night. Oh, I do expect a full recap of your date tomorrow, you know that, right?” 

“Oh I know Kel,” Meaghan replied with a laugh. “Sweet dreams.” 

She ended the call and then she quickly got ready for bed and curled up under the covers. She was just about to drift off to sleep when her cell phone warbled on the nightstand. It was a text from Bryan; “Thanks for a wonderful first date. Sweet dreams :) Bryan”  She smiled as she replied; “Can’t wait to see you again. Tonight was great. Sleep well. Meaghan :)”

To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers - any feedback is welcome as long as it's constructive. Thanks for reading! :-)