10/12/2014

"Every Breath I Take" - Chapter 11

 Here's chapter 11 of "Every Breath I Take".  Cathy says it's a bit rough, but she wanted to get it posted today since the wait has been long. She might edit it later.
I'm almost done with a new chapter of "Jenna & Luke 2.0" and I'm well underway on a brand new chapter of "The Outsiders".
Maggie is working on chapter 3 of "It's a wrap!" and hopes to have it ready to post sometime soon. 
Lots of good stuff to look forward to :)
Chapter 11
Josh felt a bit off when he woke up Sunday morning. He couldn’t really pinpoint what was wrong, but he figured it was not sleeping too well in the too-soft-for-his-liking hotel bed and a few drinks too many the previous evening.  He checked the time; 8:30 am. Janine was still fast asleep on the opposite side of the bed.  Josh realized he wouldn’t get more sleep and decided to get on with his morning routine.
A couple of minutes later Josh had deflated his the cuff in his tracheostomy tube, detached the ventilator and capped his trache. He turned off the ventilator and walked over to his suitcase that was sitting on a bench next to the bathroom door. He pulled out a clean pair of boxers and headed into the bathroom.
Josh turned on the water in the shower so it could heat up as he put a trach shield around his neck to prevent his tracheostomy from getting wet. After checking the water temperature he stepped into the shower and for a couple minutes he just stood there an enjoyed the feeling of the hot water flowing down his body.  Then he washed his hair and body and stepped out of the shower.
The shower left him refreshed and he felt much better than when he woke up.  After he'd removed the trach shield he towel dried his hair and body he put on the boxers he’d brought with him into the bathroom and went on with the trach care routine he did every morning. It included suctioning his trach, changing the inner cannula of the tracheostomy tube and trach tie and cleaning the skin under the neck plate and around the stoma in his throat.  When he finished he grabbed two 4x4 inch gauze squares with a slit in the middle and placed them under the neck plate of the tracheostomy tube. The first one with the slit pointing downwards and the second with the slit pointing upward. He adjusted them so they were straight and finished his routine by adjusting the trach tie around his neck so it was comfortable.
When Josh stepped back into the bedroom Janine was awake, but still in bed, leaning against the headboard and reading something on her phone.
«Good morning,» he greeted her.
«Morning, handsome. You’re up early on a Sunday.»
«This bed is a bit too soft for me. I woke up about an hour ago and figured I might as well get up and do my morning routine..»
«When are we meeting Shawn and Nicole?»
«At noon in the lobby. The restaurant they want to take us to is about half an hour’s walk from here.»
«I guesss we can just get a light breakfast then, since we’re going to eat in just three hours or so.»
Josh agreed and grabbed the room service menu from the desk. He ended up ordering pancakes and a fruit platter for them. That would be sufficient to tide them over ‘til lunch a few hours later.
….
“I understand why you like this place,” Josh commented as they settled in by a table by the wall to ceiling windows that had a great view of the beach.  “The view is spectacular.”
“It is. And it’s even better in the summer when you can sit on the deck.”
“I can imagine,” Josh commented.  He was in his wheelchair and he knew that and the vent would probably cause some awkwardness. He had hoped the restaurant had somewhere he could leave the wheelchair while they were eating, but the only possibility was to leave it outside and Josh wasn’t comfortable with that and staying in it was the only option. As a waitress approached the table he braced himself. Just as he’d predicted Josh noticed she stiffened when she caught sigh of him. “Great…” he muttered.
“Hi, I’m Shannon and I’m your waitress today,” she introduced herself as she passed menus to everyone but Josh. She completely ignored him and carried on with taking everyone’s drink order. Josh’s annoyance was growing rapidly and he was about to say something when Shawn spoke.
“I think you forgot something,” he said coolly as she was about to walk away from the table. The waitress looked at him with stunned look on her face, but didn’t answer. “My buddy is still waiting for a menu and he hasn’t ordered his drink yet either.”
“Uh…um…I’m…uh…sorry. I just thought…that…erm…”
“That because I’m in a wheelchair and need a ventilator to help me breath I’m not going to have something to eat or drink? And it’s okay to just act like I’m not here?” Josh queried. His tone was harsh, it was clear that he wasn’t happy with the situation.
“I..I’m sorry, s…sir,” she stuttered meekly. “I’ll get you a menu right away. What would you like to drink?”
“I’ll have a beer, please,” Josh said. Shannon hurried away, her face bright red. She was clearly embarrassed by the situation.
“That’ll teach her,” Shawn said. “I’ll give her to the end of the meal to redeem herself, but I’m tempted to complain to the manager. Behavior like that is unacceptable. She acted like you weren’t even here.”
“Unfortunately that’s not unchartered territory for me, especially when I’m in my wheelchair. That’s one of the reasons I don’t like using it. I guess the combination of bulky electric wheelchair and a ventilator automatically makes people assume I’m totally crippled and brain damaged too.”
“You shouldn’t put up with that shit. Why didn’t you say something?”
“I would’ve said something, but you beat me to it.”
“I just couldn’t help myself. She really pissed me off,” Shawn said.
“I try not to get too riled up about stuff like that. It’s annoying, but if I’m going to get all worked up every time some member of the public treats me in a patronizing manner I’d probably be pissed off most of the time. That would be a waste of energy and that’s something I don’t have too much of to begin with, so...” Josh shrugged.
Shannon remained stiff and insecure throughout the meal, both Nicole and Janine tried to loosen the men up a bit, it was clear that their cold attitudes toward her didn’t help her relax.  It did help that the food was great and they all enjoyed it, but Josh was relieved when it was time to pay the bill and get out of there.
“If we ever go back there I’ll definitely come by car so I don’t need the wheelchair and I’ll leave the vent in the car,” Josh said as they started to make their way back toward the hotel.
“You can do that?” Nicole blurted out.
Josh knew she was asking about the ventilator, but he couldn’t resist messing with her. “What? Drive? Uh, yeah. Got my license when I was 16.”
That earned him a light punch in the upper arm. “I’m not asking about driving, Josh,” she said in a slightly irritated tone.
“I know, I’m just messing with you,” Josh replied, a teasing grin gracing his features. “And to answer your question; yes I can breathe unaided. It just takes a lot of energy and I get tired and develop a headache pretty fast. I prefer to have the vent helping me. I sometimes leave it in the car when we go out to eat though, so I can actually enjoy the flavor and scent of the food. When I’m on the vent I have virtually no sense of taste or smell.”
“Really?”
“Yup. I didn’t really taste the food we just had or my breakfast for that matter.”
“I had no idea.”
“It’s because the air is pushed directly into my trachea without passing though my nose and mouth when I’m on the ventilator. But being able to breathe without struggling is more important to me than tasting every meal I eat.”
“Makes sense,” Nicole said, nodding. “I’m really sorry about that ignorant waitress. We’ve always had good food and service there.”
“It’s not your fault and it’s not the first time I experience prejudiced people,” Josh assured her. “Anyway, are you heading home when we get back to the hotel?”
“Yeah, we’ve got to pick the kids up from my parents by five in the afternoon,” Shawn confirmed. “What about you?”
“We’re heading home too. We checked out of our room and packed the car before we met up with you. We’d like to get home before it gets too late, since we both have work tomorrow.”
“Us too,” Shawn said. “And it’s a busy week for the kids. I’m glad we got a break this weekend, some adult time is always a good way of recharging our batteries.”
“We don’t have kids to get away from, but it has been nice to just get away from our daily routine and see something different,” Janine said.
“Yeah, exactly,” Shawn agreed as they reached the hotel. “A change of the scenery is definitely a good thing.”
When they reached the parking lot they bid each other goodbye and agreed to get together again soon. They had already exchanged contact information had discovered that they only lived about an hour apart.
They hadn’t been on the road for long when Josh couldn’t hold the anger and humiliation he felt about the incident with the waitress anymore.  He tried to stop the tears that welled up in his eyes from flowing down his cheeks.  Janine noticed it when he sniffled a bit.
“Josh? What’s wrong?”
He didn’t answer, but the tears kept flowing. After a few minutes a rest stop appeared on the side of the interstate and Josh pulled into it and parked. He put the van in park and leaned back in the seat, wiping his tears away with the back of his hands.
“I’ve experienced plenty of awkward shit because of my ventilator and the wheelchair, but that waitress acting like I wasn’t even there? That was the pits. I’ve never felt that fucking humiliated.” His voice cracked with emotion.
“It was completely fucked up and although she did improve throughout the meal I still think we should’ve complained. I’m surprised you didn’t get more upset than you did at the restaurant.”
“I didn’t want to cause a scene and get everyone’s attention. Shawn told her off pretty well and I added my say to that.  I hope she at least thinks about what we both said.”
“I actually think we should send an email to the manager too.  As a manager I’d want to know about incidents like that.”
“Would you fire her if she was on your staff?” Josh asked. His eyes were still red rimmed and somewhat puffy, but he’d managed to compose himself a little.
“Not if she was an overall good employee. I’d probably give her a written warning and let her know it was completely unacceptable behavior.”
Josh nodded. “Makes sense. When we get back home you can help me write that email.”
“I’ll be happy to,” Janine assured him. She leaned across the center console and placed a kiss on Josh’s lips. When she pulled back a slight smile appeared on his face. He also looked a little embarrassed.
“I’m sorry for falling apart like that,” he said sheepishly.
“Hey! Don’t do that. You have nothing to apologize for. You’re human and I think you have every right to be upset about being treated like that.” Janine gave his upper arm a firm squeeze.
“Thanks, babe. Well, I guess we should get back on the road. I’m ready to get home.”
“Me too,” Janine said distractedly. She was reading a text on her phone. “Looks like I have to work tonight. Two of my waiters have called in sick, apparently they’ve both caught some sort of stomach bug.”
“Oh, no. That sucks,” Josh said as he started the car again. They didn’t have plans together in the evening, but he’d hoped they might have dinner before they ended their weekend together.
“Yeah, but it’s part of my job. Fortunately it doesn’t happen very often.”
They spent the rest of the drive back home in silence.  Josh dropped Janine off at her house and then he headed to his house. He pulled into his garage at around five in the afternoon and he was exhausted. It had been a long day that had drained him both physically and emotionally.
Tusday morning Josh’s respiratory therapist and a guy from the medial supply store came over to deliver his two new ventilators.  After almost eight years of ventilator dependence Josh was actually excited about getting his new ones. Maybe not quite like a kid getting a new toy, but it was a good thing.  After a couple of hours of going through the functions and getting the settings on both vents right Josh bid them goodbye.  
He looked at the ventilator next to him as he closed the door. It was definitely a bit more imposing than the portable one disguised by a black wheelie bag; the ventilator, an LTV 1150, was perched on a 3’ tall pole with a base with five wheels. On the bottom an oxygen bottle was strapped in place. On the other side the humidifier was attached to the pole, about halfway between the base and the ventilator. An IV pole suspended a bag of sterile water for the humidifier about 2’ above the ventilator. After only an hour on it Josh felt an improvement in his airway; the humidified air definitely made his throat feel less scratchy. He grabbed the handle on the back of the ventilator and pushed it into his office.
Janine ended up working a lot that week; the stomach flu seemed to spread like wildfire among her team and she had to borrow staff from neighboring branches of Chef Luigi’s to cover for the ones that were sick. It worked pretty well, but they required more supervision than her own staff and she had pulled double shifts every day.  She missed Josh; she hadn’t seen him since he’d dropped her off at home Sunday afternoon.  They had only talked on the phone a few times.
Now it was Thursday afternoon and for the first time that week Janine had the evening off and she was eager to spend time with her boyfriend. She hoped he hadn’t made plans for the evening already. She grabbed her iPhone and dialed Josh’s number. She was disappointed when he didn’t pick up the phone, but she hoped he’d call her back soon.
Josh was on the phone with his boss when Janine called and as soon as he’d ended that call he dialed her number. She picked up almost instantly.
“Hey, Josh! How are you?”
“I’m good. How ‘bout you?”
“Tried, but good. It’s been a long week with three 12 hour workdays so far.”
“Ugh…,” Josh groaned. “Sorry to hear that, babe. Are things looking better? Or is your staff still puking their guts out?”
“I really hope things will get back to normal by Monday. I actually have a full staff on tonight, so I’m about to leave work now. I was hoping you don’t have plans, so we could do something together. I’ve missed you this week.”
“Damn! My buddy Phil called earlier and asked if I wanted to go bowling with him and a couple of other buddies and since you said you’d most likely be working I said yes.”
“Oh…” Janine didn’t manage to disguise that she was disappointed, but at the same time she realized it wasn’t fair to expect Josh to just sit at home and not make plans in case she called.
“I can call him and cancel,” Josh offered.
“No, don’t. I know it’s short notice and I don’t want you to cancel your plans on my behalf. I’m sure we can do something over the weekend.”
“Are you sure?” He queried.
“Yeah, it’s fine, babe. I’m really tired from working so much all week, so a quiet night at home in front of the TV doesn’t sound all that bad either. Have fun with your buddies and we’ll talk tomorrow, okay?”
“You think you’ll have tomorrow off?”
“Looks like it. If no one calls in sick tomorrow morning I’m good.”
“Well, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for that. I’m yours tomorrow evening.”
“Awesome! I’m looking forward seeing you.”
“The feeling is mutual,” Josh said warmly.
“Well, enjoy your night out with your buddies and I’ll call you around lunchtime tomorrow and we can make plans, okay?”
Josh agreed and they chatted a few more minutes before they ended the call.
Although Josh felt a little guilty that he’d made plans and couldn’t go spend time with Janine that evening he was looking forward to spending time with his buddies. It had been a long time since the last time he’d taken part in a group activity. He realized it would be the first time a few of his buddies would see him with his ventilator in tow, but he was less worried now than he’d been right after he first started using it full time.  He checked the time; it was time to get ready.
Half an hour later Josh checked his appearance in the full-length mirror in by his door; he was dressed in a pair of brown jeans and a denim shirt with the top buttons undone. He’d attached the ventilator tubes to his torso with two neoprene straps before he put the shirt on, so they were mostly disguised. The tracheostomy tube in his throat, the upper part of the ventilator tubes and the TrachAid supporting them were visible. Satisfied with his appearance he put on his brown leather jacket, stuffed his phone and wallet into his pocket before he donned the backpack with his portable ventilator and headed to his car. Tonight was going to be a good one.

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers - any feedback is welcome as long as it's constructive. Thanks for reading! :-)