10/22/2014

'It's a Wrap!' - Chapter 3

Here's a new chapter of 'It's a Wrap!'.  Enjoy!  
Cathy has promised me a new chapter of 'Every Breath I Take' very soon and I'm working on my stories as well. Just wish my muse was more cooperative. 
Well, it's late here and I just wanted to get this up before I went to bed. 
-Mille


WEEK SEVEN
My rehab is progressing. Some things are going well. Some things are not. I’m still stuck with wearing the back brace when I’m not laying flat. It’s uncomfortable, both because limits my range of motion so much and because it’s hot and clammy. But it’s better than being on bed rest. I’m enjoying the physical therapy and the strength building exercises. It’s almost like being back at the gym.  
I’m struggling more with the occupational therapy and some of the more practical tasks.  Who knew pulling on pants could be so difficult. I’ve given up on jeans. Sweatpants are manageable, but it still takes me about half an hour to get them on. My occupational therapist says it’ll get easier once I get rid of the back brace. I’m not getting my hopes up.
Another thing that’s not going great is my bladder routine. I’ve been doing intermittent catheterizing for more than three weeks now and no matter how carefully I watch my fluid intake I seem to leak between. It’s incredibly frustrating and I’m worried about having to spend the rest of my life wearing either an indwelling catheter or a condom catheter with a leg bag. I can’t say the thought of going through the rest of my life with a bag collecting my piss strapped to my calf is appealing.  The thought of wearing diapers for the rest of my life is even less appealing, but fortunately my bowel routine is giving me less trouble and the diapers are gone, but they’ve been replaced by incontinence briefs. Hopefully I can get rid of those soon too. Fingers crossed and all that.
My arms are aching when I wheel out of the physical therapy gym Friday afternoon, after my last therapy session for the week. I can’t believe it has been six weeks since the accident already. In some ways it feels like an eternity, but in other ways it feels like the accident happened yesterday.
I’m still undecided on what to do regarding my part on ‘Dean & Dad’.  Frank has been to see me a couple of times, he’s trying to persuade me to come back. They’ve got a couple of ideas on how to write my character becoming a paraplegic. I like one of them, but I’m not sure how I’d make it work from a practical point of view.
For the past four years I’ve spent the majority of eight months a year in Toronto, Canada where the set is located. It’s much cheaper to produce the show there than it would be to do somewhere in the US, ‘Dean & Dad’ is far from the only American TV-series that’s produced in Canada.
I have a condo in Toronto. It’s a nice place, in a modern building with a great view of the lake from the living room.  I think it’s pretty accessible, with a few minor adjustments I should be able to get around it just fine.  Accessibility on set is a concern, it’s not exactly wheelchair friendly, but I think that’s something we can work around. At least I hope it is.  
My main concern is actually the travel back and forth to Toronto; during the months the show is in production I try to fly back home every weekend, to spend time with my family.  It’s not like I’ll be able to just rush from the set and to the airport like I used to; air travel is more complicated when there’s a wheelchair involved.  
For me it would be ideal to move the set to LA, because it would be within driving distance from my house. I mentioned it to Frank when he visited me a few weeks ago. He just chuckled at my optimism.  I know it’s not going to happen – the costs involved in moving everything would be astronomical and the production cost of the show would skyrocket. So much for that idea. 
I really want to stay on; I love my job. We’re a great group, the cast and crew that really enjoy working together. After five years of working together we’re a close-knit group. I hate the thought of leaving my job.  And I really don’t know what I’d do if I quit. Acting is the only job I’ve known. I’ve been in the entertainment business since high school. I guess I could try to get into writing or producing. Something behind the scenes. A desk job. It’s really not all that appealing, but I have a family to feed, so I’ve got to figure this out.  Maybe I should accept the offer to talk to a therapist? 
After a shower, change of clothes and a nap it’s time for dinner. I feel a pang of satisfaction when I’m settled into the wheelchair after transferring on my own. I still can’t manage without the aid of a transfer board, but I’m getting there.  I’m happy I’ve gotten to a point where I’m pretty independent and don’t need much assistance from the staff. It’s a good feeling, but I know I still have lots of hard work ahead.
«Hi Joel,» I greet him when I arrive at what has become ‘our’ table in the cafeterua. «How are you today?»
«Hi,» he says with a smile. «I’m okay. Same old. You?»
«I’m good. Tired, but good. It’s been a long week, but I’ve made some good progress. According to my PT I’m ahead of where they expected me to be at this point.»
Joel’s face falls at the end and there’s a beat of silence as he waits for the vent to fill his lungs with air before he speaks. I know these forced pauses frustrates him. «So you might be getting out of here earlier than planned?» 
«He didn’t say anything about that, so I’m not getting my hopes up about that. I still have to get rid of this brace and when that happens I have a lot of work to do to rebuild my core muscles.»
«Any idea when you’ll be getting rid of the brace?»
«I’m scheduled to have my back x-rayed next Wednesday. My doctor will base his decision on the x-rays. I really hope I can get rid of it.»
Further conversation is interrupted when the nurse in charge of Joel comes over to our table. She gives Joel a quick rundown of today’s menu and he tells her he wants the pasta and meatballs in tomato sauce. She heads to the counter to get his food and I join her to get my own meal. Balancing a tray of food in my lap is somewhat precarious, but I manage to get back to the table without spilling chicken casserole all over myself. I count it as a win when I place the tray on the table in front of me and settle in next to Joel. 
After almost four weeks of feeding Joel at least one meal, sometimes two, a day most days of the week we’ve developed a pretty good routine. It took some trial and error and the first few meals were awkward. For both of us.  Now it’s routine and I offer Joel forkfuls of food between chewing bites of my own food.
After dinner Joel and I head to his room. Meg isn’t coming tonight; she and the kids are spending the weekend at her parents’ house in Santa Barbara. It’s her dad’s 60th birthday and her parents are throwing a huge party. They’ve actually tried to persuade me to come, but I declined. I’m not ready for that.  Watching a movie with Joel sounds like a much more pleasant way to spend the evening.
Two nurses gets Joel settled in bed; he’s more comfortable in bed than in his wheelchair and when they’re done I accept some assistance to get settled into the recliner next to his bed. It’s still early, so we chat a little and I ask Joel if it’s okay that I tweet about our evening plans. He grins. “Sure.” When I followed him on Twitter a few weeks ago I think I made his week. I’ve helped him get caught up on his timeline and email and I’ve typed numerous emails and tweets for him lately. 
I post a pic of the two of us with the message; “Watching movies with my buddy @JoelAbrams tonight. Have a great Friday everyone. :)”
It doesn’t take long for the responses to come in and Joel’s iPad starts beeping with several notifications as well. I hold it up and scroll through his notifications so he can see them. He asks me to re-tweet my tweet to his timeline, which I’m happy to do.
“So, what’s gonna happen with ‘Dean & Dad’?” Joel asks me after he notices that several responses to my tweet are about just that.
I lean back in the recliner and rake a hand through my hair, sighing heavily. “I guess that’s up to me and I have no idea what to do.”
“What do you mean?”
“I wish I could tell you the details, but the gist of it is that they want me to stay on.”
“Really? That’s awesome!”
“I guess it is, but I don’t see how I could make it work.”
“What do you mean?”
“Since you’re a long-time fan of the show you know we shoot in Toronto, right?”
“Yeah, I know.”
“Well, working in Toronto and living in LA is a challenge. Especially since I have a wife and two kids here in LA I want to be there for. I have more air miles than most people because I fly back and forth so much during the eight months we’re in production.”
“I didn’t think about that. Can’t be easy.”
“It has tough to make it work from day one. And adding a wheelchair to the equation will make it harder to travel back and forth. I’ve done some research on air travel with a wheelchair and it’s a lot of hassle. One thing is dealing with it occasionally, but the thought of going through it on a regular basis isn’t appealing.”
“What about shooting in LA, is that an option?”
“No. Moving the set would be expensive and shooting here is much more expensive. It’s just too expensive.”
“Could the whole family move to Toronto?”
“I don’t wanna uproot the kids. I have no idea how long ‘Dean & Dad’ will last. Maybe we get more seasons, maybe we don’t. It’s an unpredictable industry to work in. I might end up working on something that shoots somewhere else. It’s not fair to make the kids move around all the time. We have a base here in LA; the kids have friends and a network.”
“Do you want to go back to work? And don’t think about all the practical issues.”
“Definitely,” I reply. “I love my job and the cast and crew are my second family.”
“Then you’ll find a way to make it work,” Joel says.
“I hope so,” I say. Then I decide to turn the attention to Joel. “What about you? What’s your plan when you’re done with your rehab?”
“I have no idea. My situation is more complicated, since I’m completely dependent on other people and need 24/7 nursing care. Right now it looks like they’ll transfer me to a room in the assisted living facility next door when I’m done with my rehab.”
“You won’t be able to move home?”
“Probably not. My house isn’t suitable for me now; it would take a lot of work to make it accessible. Widening the doorways, expanding and refitting the bathroom, installing ramps… It will cost a lot of money I don’t have. And then there’s the cost of hiring a full-time staff to do my care. My insurance will probably pay for all the necessary equipment and staff, but not re-modeling my house.”
“Man, that sucks,” I say emphatically. I really mean it. I’m grateful that our house is a single level house and won’t need much work done to make it accessible and that I don’t have to worry about finding the money to get it done. I’m going over there with my occupational therapist sometime next week to assess things and get the ball rolling on the preparations we need to do before I go home.
“Yeah. I may be a cripple now, but I’m only 32 and the thought of spending the rest of my life in what’s basically a nursing home is pretty depressing.”
“Yeah, I totally get that,” I say. “What about your family? Or friends? Anything they can do to help you?”
Joel looks defeated. “I moved to LA only six months ago. I don’t have any real friends here. As for family; don’t have much of that either.”
“I’m sorry to hear that.”
“Spare me from the pity-party. I’m an only child. My grandparents all passed away before I was born. I told you my mom passed away when I was a kid, right?”
“Yeah,” I confirm with a nod.
“Dad died a couple of years ago, he had a massive heart attack. He was an only child.  I have an uncle on Mom’s side of the family, the last time I saw him was in her funeral.”
“That’s rough, Joel. And please don’t take it as pity. I just know how much the support from my family has meant to me lately.”
“Well, I don’t mean to sound sappy, but I’m glad I’ve at least got one friend; you.”
“Well, we might have gotten off to a rocky start, but I’m glad Lydia asked me to be your ‘buddy’ and that you convinced you to give you a second chance.” I mean it. I’m confident our friendship will last beyond rehab.
“Well, before we turn into sappy women I think you should hit ‘play’,” Joel says.
I laugh and agree, so I grab the remote and push the ‘play’ button like he suggested.
Monday afternoon Meg brings the kids over to visit me. Jayden has brought his math homework with him, he’s struggling and math has never been Meg’s strong suit. To be honest it’s not mine either. I was always better at the more creative subjects.
We’re all sitting by a table in the cafeteria when Joel appears in the door. I’ve introduced him to Meg and the kids and as soon as Jacklyn spots him she runs over and asks him to join us. He follows her and Meg removes the chair between her and Jayden so he can drive his wheelchair up to the table.
“Hi, Joel,” she greets him as he parks his chair. “How are you?”
“I’m okay. How about you? Have a nice weekend?”
“I’m good. The weekend was great. It’s always nice to spend time with my family.”
We chat for a few minutes before Jayden’s homework catches Joel’s eye.
“What’s that, Jay?” he asks.
“Stupid math homework,” he says. “I just don’t understand equations.”
“Hold it up so I can see it properly,” Joel tells him. He complies. Joel studies the workbook in Jayden holds up intently, then he dives into an explanation. It’s a bit more difficult since Joel can’t point to the things he’s explaining, but after a while Jay is working through his math homework with more enthusiasm than I’ve ever seen him. An idea starts coming together in my mind as I watch Joel patiently explain things to Jay.


To be continued... 

2 comments:

I love to hear from my readers - any feedback is welcome as long as it's constructive. Thanks for reading! :-)