10/19/2014

"Jenna & Luke 2 .0" - Chapter 4

Jenna heard her landline phone ringing through the front door and hurried inside. She dumped the bag of groceries she was carrying on the floor next to the table in the hallway and grabbed the handset without checking the caller ID.
“Hello,” she answered the phone, slightly out of breath.
“Hey sis, been out running?” It was her younger sister Joanna.
“Hi Jo. No, I just got home and heard the phone through the front door. I rushed to answer before you hung up.”
“Ah, I see. How are you? I haven’t heard from you since Dad’s birthday a few weeks back.”
 “I’m very good, how ‘bout you and Shannon? How’s business?”
“We’re both good, so is the business. How’s your business going?”
“Still kinda’ slow, but things have been picking up lately. A couple of Sarah’s connections have proved themselves useful. I hope it continues.”
“Glad to hear it. I know you took a chance when you moved out there and threw everything into this.”
“So far it has been very worth it,” Jenna answered, a smile evident in her voice.
“Who is he?”
“What?”
“I can hear it in your voice and it’s not like you to stay out of touch unless something is keeping you busy. You’ve met a guy haven’t you?”
“I have,” Jenna admitted with a small laugh. “Can’t get anything past you, can I?”
“I know you, Jenna. Now, tell me all about your man.”
“His name is Luke and he’s amazing. We’ve been dating for about five weeks.”
“How did you meet?”
“He’s an accountant and works around the corner from my office. We have lunch at the same Starbuck’s and we had an eye on each other for a while. The manager there introduced us to each other. I guess she had enough of us smiling and exchanging glances.”
“Is he handsome?”
“Very. Dark brown hair and eyes, chiseled jawline...”
“Sounds dreamy! I hope I get to meet him this weekend!”
“What? You’re coming to LA this weekend? Or did I misunderstand you?”
“We arrive at LAX around noon on Friday.”
“Whoa! Have I missed an email from you or something? I can’t remember hearing about this before.” It was Tuesday and this was the first time Jenna heard about it.
“It was a bit of a spur of the moment thing. We’ve been thinking about coming out for a while and yesterday Shannon said we should look for tickets and we got a great deal this weekend.”
“Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy you’re coming. I was just a bit surprised, that’s all. Where are you staying?”
“Umm… I was kinda’ hoping we could stay with you, you have a guestroom, right? But if you have plans we’ll look for a hotel, I know it’s short notice.”
“I do have some plans with Luke, but I’m pretty sure we can include you in them. My apartment is really shitty and the guestroom is tiny, but you’re welcome to stay here.”
“If you’re sure it’s not a problem we both really appreciate it.”
“I wouldn’t offer it was a problem.” Jenna realized she should tell her sister about Luke’s disability before she met him. “Umm…there’s something you need to know about Luke.”
“What? Is he married? He has three kids? He’s a celebrity?”
“No, he’s disabled. He’s a quadriplegic.”
“What? He’s in one of those scary wheelchairs with a ventilator and needs you to feed him?”
“NO! Well, I guess the wheelchair is a bit imposing; it’s a power chair with a high back and a headrest and he’s strapped into it because he doesn’t have the strength to sit unaided, but there’s no ventilator. He breathes just fine on his own.”
“Right…” Joanna seemed skeptical. Jenna decided to carry on.
“He has limited movement in his arms and hands, but he can do most things for himself. He has a great job, makes good money; he owns a great house. And he’s the best man I’ve ever met. He’s smart, funny, caring, a great kisser…”
“Jenna, are you serious?”
“Does it sound I like I’m joking? Could you please keep an open mind and try to look past his disability?”
“I’ll try. When you say he can do most things, what do you mean?”
“He needs help to get out of bed, shower and get dressed in the morning and the reverse in the evenings. When he’s in his wheelchair he’s mostly independent.”
“Right… And you don’t mind that? I mean, aren’t you worried that you’ll end up as his nurse or something?”
“Luke has several PCA’s. He’s adamant that I’m his girlfriend, not his caretaker.”
“Well, I can’t wait to meet him and I’ll do my best to keep an open mind.”
“Thanks, Jo. I hope we’ll have a good weekend.”
“Me too. I’ve got to run. See you on Friday.”
“Text me your flight details. I’ll pick you up at LAX.”
“Will do. Love you, Jenna.”
“Love you too. Say hi to Shannon from me.”
Jenna ended the call and decided to put away the groceries before she called Luke. He had invited her to spend the weekend at his place and it should have been the first time they’d spend the night together in the same bed. With Joanna and Shannon coming to town there would be a change of plans.
When the groceries were put away Jenna flopped down on her couch and dialed Luke’s number. He picked up on the third ring.
“Hey babe,” he answered, obviously happy to hear from her. “What’s up?”
“My sister called. She and her girlfriend are coming to LA this weekend. They fly in on Friday.”
“That’s short notice,” Luke stated. “I have a feeling this means a change of our plans this weekend?”
“Yeah…” Jenna sighed. “Jo said they’d been thinking about it for a while and they got a bargain on the plane tickets and since they both have the weekend off work for once they decided to jump at the chance.”
“So where are they staying? Hotel? Or your place?”
“They’re staying at my place. They said they could look for a hotel, but I know they really prefer staying with me.”
“I see. I guess that means you’re not spending the weekend here.” Jenna didn’t miss the disappointment in his voice.
“I’m sorry, Luke. I just couldn’t say no to her. She was so excited and we haven’t spent time together in a long time. I saw her at Dad’s birthday, but she flew in on Saturday and left Sunday morning. We didn’t have time to catch up and Shannon wasn’t with her. I miss them.”
“I get that, I was just really excited to have you to myself the whole weekend. And I was looking forward to waking up with you in my bed.”
“I was looking forward to waking up in your bed too. Maybe I can spend one night with you and the other at home with Jo and Shannon. I’m sure they won’t mind. They want to meet you, so we’ll have to go on a double date.”
“You told her about me?”
“Yeah. She asked if I had a boyfriend and obviously I said yes. She wanted to know everything about you and me. I gave her a brief overview.”
“Right…I bet she’s thrilled about you dating a cripple.”
“I wish you’d stop referring to yourself as a cripple. I hate that word, Luke. I won’t lie though; she’s skeptical, but I know you’ll win her over with your charm and good looks.”
“I hope you’re right,” Luke replied, he didn’t sound convinced. “Um… Wanna come over for dinner tomorrow since we probably won’t be getting any alone time this weekend?”
“I’d love to. See you at lunch tomorrow?”
“I’m in meetings all day, remember? Catered lunch.”
“Sorry, I forgot all about that. When do you want me to come over?”
“Six? Do you want to spend the night? We could watch a movie in bed after we eat.”
“I like the way you think, Mr. Hillbrook. See you tomorrow.”
“Can’t wait. Bye.”
“Bye,” Jenna wanted to add “I love you”, but she had a feeling it was too soon and she restrained herself. After all they had only known each other for a few weeks.
The following afternoon Luke was looking forward to his evening and night with Jenna. He was still a bit disappointed that their weekend together had been called off because of her sister’s visit, but he was also happy to meet some of Jenna’s family. And equally nervous about how they’d react to him.
Luke hoped Jenna’s sister was an open-minded. She was bound to have dealt with prejudice because of her sexuality and Luke hoped she managed to use her own experience to see past his disability.
Luke pushed his worries to the back of his mind and turned his attention back to the task at hand; preparing a wok for dinner and picked up his rocking T-knife, which made it possible for him to chop the vegetables and chicken himself. It took some effort, but he knew Jenna liked his cooking and it made it worth it to him.
Luke had chopped up all the ingredients when the doorbell rang half an hour later. He did his best to wipe his hands on a towel and placed his hand on the joystick of his chair and drove it to the front door. When Luke got to the hallway he pushed the button on the wall that opened the door and moments later Jenna was kissing him passionately.
“Good evening, Miss Garrity,” he said in a mock formal tone with a teasing grin on his face when they pulled apart.
“Good evening, Sir,” Jenna laughed as she curtsied and then placed quick second kiss on Luke’s lips. When she pulled back she grabbed her duffle bag from the front porch and headed inside.
“I’ll go back to the kitchen and finish our dinner,” Luke said. “The guest room is ready for you, if you want to unpack.”
“What are we having?” Jenna asked.
“A chicken and vegetable wok with a sweet n sour sauce and rice.”
“Sounds delicious. Anything I can do to help?”
“Nah, I’ve got it under control,” Luke said with a smile as he turned and headed back to the kitchen. Jenna headed to the guest room where she unpacked her bag and then she headed to the kitchen.
After they’d finished dinner Jenna helped Luke clear the table and clean up the kitchen a little. As they finished Luke got two bottles of beer from the fridge and headed back to the dining table. Jenna sat down next to him. She noticed the tense set of his jaw.
“You seem tense,” Jenna commented as Luke held out a beer bottle to her, clutching it between the palms of his hands.
“Um, well… We had planned to sleep in the same bed over the weekend and I was kind of hoping we could do that tonight.”
“I’d like that,” Jenna said happily. “It gets kind of lonely in the guest room.”
“I think it’s time for me to be completely honest about the aspects of my disability you’re probably not aware of.  There’s more to it than mobility issues.”
“You know I’ve done some research online,” Jenna said. “I do have a general idea, but I obviously don’t know the specifics. What applies to you…”
“I have a suprapubic catheter. It’s basically a rubber tube that comes out of my pelvis. During the day it’s attached to a bag that’s strapped to my calf that collects urine. At night it’s attached to a bag that hangs off the side of my bed.” Luke paused briefly and then he carried on. “I also have bowel routine, obviously. I’m not going to go into detail about that, though. I will tell you that because I have accidents about once a week I wear diapers. Not sexy at all, I know. I don’t blame you if you want to walk out.”
“Luke, please don’t say stuff like that. Give me some credit. I think that as long as we take things slow and don’t rush into anything we’ll be fine.”
A tentative smile appeared on Luke’s face. “I want to take things slow. This is unchartered territory for me too, you know. I think rushing into things is a bad idea for both of us.”
“I think we’ve done well so far,” Jenna said, smiling.
“Yeah, I think so too,” Luke agreed. Jenna replied by leaning over and kissing him firmly on the lips.
Luke was more than a little nervous when Jenna stepped into his bedroom dressed in a pair of cotton pajama pants and a t-shirt. It would be the first time she’d actually spend the night with him; sharing a bed. Kevin had helped him with his evening routine while Jenna showered and changed into her pajamas in the guest room. Now he wondered how she’d react to the braces he wore to bed at night. He’d told her about them to prepare her, but this was the first time she’d see them. To Luke’s surprise his splint-clad hands resting on top of the duvet didn’t seem to get her attention at all as she slipped into bed.
“I’m sorry our weekend plans have changed,” she said apologetically as she curled up next to him. “But I have to admit I’m looking forward to spending time with Joanna and Shannon.”
Luke kissed the crown of her head before he replied. “It’s ok. I understand and we can spend next weekend together instead. Right now I’m more nervous about how your sister and her girlfriend will react when they meet me.”
“They’ll like you, I know they will. Just be your usual charming self.”
“I wish I had your confidence,” he sighed.
“Joanna isn’t that hard to win over and Shannon is really easygoing. Don’t worry, it will be fine.”
“I hope you’re right.”
“I know I’m right,” Jenna said as she smacked his upper chest gently.
“Ouch! I felt that,” Luke chuckled.
“I know you did. Smacking your stomach is no good,” Jenna said with a teasing grin on her face. “Just shut up and trust me, okay? I know my sister.”
“I just know I’m not exactly the pick of the litter… I mean, how many guys have you dated that wear ugly bulky braces at night and need a bulky power wheelchair to get around?”
“Just you. I care about you and I’ll admit the extent of your disability and everything that comes with it is a bit overwhelming to me. I’m glad we’re taking things slow and I really appreciate that you’re open about things.”
“I’ve lived with my disability for more than three years and I still find it overwhelming at times. I know it’s a lot. I feel very lucky that you’re giving me a chance.”
“The more time I spend with you the more I’m convinced that you’re worth it."
Luke wished he was less nervous about meeting Jenna’s sister and her fiancée, but new people always unnerved him. He had no idea how they’d react to him and he was more aware of his disability around new people. When he was with people he was comfortable around, and they around him, he didn’t really think much about it. It was a fact of life and he was used to it.
With a sigh he drove his wheelchair over to the full-length mirror in his bedroom to make sure his leg bag wasn’t visible and that he hadn’t gotten any stains on his shirt when he ate breakfast. He was wearing a black polo shirt, a pair of dark jeans and he had black loafers on his feet.
Although he loathed shopping he had decided that his disability shouldn’t stop him from dressing well. Luke didn’t want to be a cripple in a wheelchair wearing sweatpants and t-shirts, and his job came with a dress code; business casual, so he didn’t really have a choice there. He decided he looked acceptable and checked that he had his wallet and cellphone in the pouch under the left armrest of his wheelchair before he headed out to his van.
When he pulled into a parking lot near the seafood restaurant in Huntington Beach where he was meeting Jenna, Joanna and Susannah he spotted Jenna’s Prius at the end of a row of cars. He was relieved when one of the handicap parking spaces was available.  Luke quickly parked the van and as he turned off the engine he spotted Jenna and two unfamiliar women standing in front of the van. Jenna waved eagerly and he did his best to wave back.
A few minutes later he rolled up to them and Jenna greeted him with a rather passionate kiss on the lips.
“Hi there,” he grinned when she pulled away. “Happy to see me?”
“Always,” she said with a wide smile. Then she introduced him to Joanna and Shannon. He was surprised when both of them accepted his offered hand and shook it without hesitation. Most people didn’t know what to do with his curled, splinted hand and handshakes seemed to be an endless source of awkward moments. There was no denying the kinship between Jenna and Joanna; they had the same light brown eyes and straight nose. 
They made their way to the terrace of the restaurant and Luke was relieved when he realized that Jenna had made reservations and asked for an accessible table. A chair had been removed to accommodate the wheelchair and he easily rolled up to the table and parked next to Jenna. Joanna and Shannon took the chairs across from them.
Jenna could sense that Luke was nervous, but things were going better than she’d hoped for and conversation was flowing pretty well. She had spent a lot of time answering all the questions Joanna and Shannon had about Luke and his disability the previous evening. She hoped her openness would keep them from asking him something inappropriate. Jenna knew from experience that both her sister and Shannon didn’t seem to have the same take on what was appropriate that she had.
When the waitress had brought them their drinks and taken their food orders Jenna grasped Luke’s left hand with her right and laced her fingers with his. He glanced at her sideways with a crooked grin on his face and Jenna quickly kissed him on the lips.
“Look at you lovebirds,” Joanna giggled. “You two are adorable!”
That caused Luke to snort. “I don’t think anyone, except for maybe my mother when I was an infant, has ever described me as adorable.”
“Well, it’s the combination of you two and how you’re clearly completely in love with each other.”
“What can I say? Your sister is the best thing that has happened to me in a long time.” Luke brought their entwined hands to his lips and kissed Jenna’s hand.
“I have a feeling you’re pretty good for her too. I haven’t seen her this happy in a long time,” Joanna said. Then she added in a serious tone; “You’d better not hurt her feelings though; you’ll have to answer to me.”
“And me,” Shannon interjected.
“I’ll keep that in mind,” Luke said sincierely. Jenna noticed he seemed to relax. She was also aware that her sister probably still had her reservations, but so far Luke had won her over.
Their food arrived on the table. Luke was aware that Joanna and Shannon were watching his every move and he hoped he managed to finish his fish and chips without getting tartar sauce all over himself. He was relieved when he could put down his fork and push his mostly empty plate aside.
The waitress came back to the table and cleared their plates and they ordered dessert. Luke couldn’t suppress a grin when Jenna practically demanded that they’d share a slice of cheesecake.
“My sister and Shannon really likes you,” Jenna told Luke over dinner Sunday evening. She had ended up spending both nights Joanna and Shannon was in town at her apartment with them. Luke had suggested that she could spend Sunday night with him and catch a ride with him to work Monday morning, which she’d happily agreed to. Her office only came with one parking spot and Sarah used it. Jenna had to take the bus to work, which was a bit of a hassle.
Jenna had happily accepted his invitation and after she’d dropped Joanna and Shannon off at LAX she had headed straight over to his house. Her sister had grinned knowingly and winked at her when she’d spotted Jenna’s garment bag and small duffle in the trunk of her Prius when she put their luggage into the car.
“Glad to hear it. I felt like lunch yesterday went pretty well,” he said as he brought another piece of the Chicken Parmegiana Jenna had cooked for dinner to his mouth. It was one of the most delicious things he had ever eaten.
“It went really well, Luke. I did my best to prepare them before they met you in person. I think it made a difference,” Jenna admitted. Luke wasn’t surprised; the lack of intimate questions and awkwardness over lunch had suggested that. “I hope you don’t mind.”
“Not at all. It made lunch pretty enjoyable. This is really good by the way,” he said, gesturing at his plate.
“Glad you like it. It’s one of my favorite foods. It’s not too hard to make and the leftovers are great too.”
“I wouldn’t mind eating this two days in a row.”
“Good to know. I guess I know what we’re having for dinner tomorrow then. I might change the pasta for couscous if you don’t mind.”
“I guess that means I get to enjoy your company tomorrow too?”
“If you’ll have me.”
“Of course!” Luke grinned.
Kevin got Luke settled in bed and he and Jenna bid him good night as she climbed into bed and snuggled against Luke’s side. His right splint-clad hand was resting on his stomach and Jenna covered it with her hand.
 “You mentioned the other day that your mother didn’t like that you moved out here. She wanted you to stay in Ann Arbor?”
“Yeah. I stayed with my parents from I was released from rehab to I finished graduate school. Mom’s smothering drove me nuts. By the time I graduated I was ready to move on; get my own place and try to stand on my own two feet again. Figuratively speaking of course. I had kept in touch with a couple of my buddies from UCLA and I had a few other connections out here as well. I actually had a couple of job offers and before I knew it my brother Chris and I were on the road.”
“You drove from Ann Arbor to LA?” Jenna asked, surprise lacing her voice.
“Yeah. I needed to bring my van. Chris came with me to assist me and keep me companied. I paid for his flight back home and his hotel while he was in town.”
“Did you already have the house then?”
“No. I actually lived in an assisted living facility for the first few months after I moved back here. I found the house pretty fast, but it took me a while to have some work done to it and hire PCAs. It wasn’t as bad as is might seem, but I hope I never have to live somewhere like that again. There weren’t many young people there and the few that were there had brain injuries. And it didn’t exactly lessen the awkwardness at work when people found out that the company cripple lived in a nursing home.”
“I bet you were glad when you could finally move into your own place.”
“Yeah, very!” Luke said. “It was a bit scary too. As much as I hated the place it felt safe, there were always people around that could help me when I needed it. When I lived back home it was the same. My parents were always around.”
“I thought you were eager to live independently?”
“I was, but it was a lot more intimidating when it became a reality.”
“I bet,” Jenna said before she kissed him soundly on the lips. When they pulled apart Luke couldn’t stifle a yawn. “Tired?”
“Yeah, have to admit I am.”
“I’m tired too, so I’ll just go turn off the bathroom lights and we can get some sleep.”
Jenna slipped out of bed and Luke admired her as she crossed the floor to his bathroom door. She was dressed in one of his old t-shirts and a pair of silk shorts and not for the first time he realized she had great legs.
“Hey, what are you staring at?” she said in a mock angry tone when she turned around and caught him staring.
“Your legs,” he admitted. “They’re so sexy.”
Jenna giggled as she climbed back into bed and snuggled up next to Luke.
“You think my legs are sexy?”
“Very. Just as the rest of you. C’mere,” Luke said as he patted the mattress next to him with his splint clad left hand. Jenna didn’t hesitate and quickly got back into bed next to Luke. They wound up making out and when they finally pulled apart and Jenna collapsed on Luke’s chest they were both panting.
Monday morning dawned too soon for Jenna’s tastes and she was tempted to call Sarah and tell her she wasn’t coming to the office. She wanted to stay curled up next to Luke’s warm body, under his feather duvet and soft sheets all day. Kevin knocking and entering the room without waiting for an answer put an end to her daydreaming.
“Morning Luke…oh and Jenna. Sorry, I forgot you were here.”
“Morning, Kev,” Luke greeted him. “Give us a couple of minutes, okay?”
“No problem,” Kevin blushed slightly and scurried out of the room.
“That will teach him to wait for an answer before he enters,” Luke chuckled.
“Yeah,” Jenna said with a laugh as she reluctantly slipped out of bed and slipped on her robe before she opened the bedroom door. Kevin was standing by the entrance to the guestroom and he looked slightly embarrassed. He flashed Jenna a shy smile and headed straight for the bathroom to get Luke’s shower wheelchair.
“See you in a few,” Luke said to Jenna as Kevin came back into the bedroom and lined the chair up to transfer Luke to it Jenna grabbed her duffle bag and slipped into the guestroom to use the bathroom and get ready for work.
Kevin was uncharacteristically quiet as he removed Luke’s overnight braces from his wrists and ankles and then attached the bed bag to a hook on the side of the wheelchair.
“Ready?” he asked Luke.
Luke nodded and winced visibly as he did so. He sighed; his neck hadn’t acted up for a while, but he quickly realized that today wasn’t a good day. It would probably feel even worse when he was sitting up.
“Neck acting up again?” Kevin asked, already knowing the answer.
“Seems like it.”
“Let me know how it feels when you’re in your chair. It might be better.”
“Highly unlikely, but we’ll see. Let’s get this show on the road, I don’t want to keep Jenna waiting for too long.”
Kevin transferred Luke to the wheelchair with practiced ease and strapped him into it. Once in the bathroom he helped Luke wash the parts of his body he couldn’t reach himself. Luke also asked Kevin to shave him, since it was faster than him doing it himself and Jenna was waiting When the shower was done he put on Luke’s wrist splints so he could brush his teeth before they headed back to the bedroom. The routine was the same as it was every morning; Kevin helped Luke transfer back to the bed and diapered him before he got started on his range of motion exercises.
“You seem really happy lately,” Kevin said as he attached an empty leg bag to Luke’s calf and hooked it up to his catheter after he was done with his stretches.
“I am,” Luke said with a smile as Kevin pulled a pair of charcoal grey dress slacks up his legs. “And I’m sure you know why.”
“I’m glad you’ve found Jenna. She’s great.”
“Yeah, she is. I keep wondering when the bubble will burst though. Things seem a bit too good to be true.”
“Give her some credit. Keep taking things slow and stay honest and open and I think things will work out just fine for you.”
“I sure hope you’re right,” Luke said as Kevin finished dressing him and got him settled in his wheelchair.
“How does your neck feel?” he asked as he secured the strap across Luke’s chest.
Luke moved his head a bit and winced. “Like shit. Can you please get the collar? I need it today.”
“Maybe you should take a painkiller and stay home if it’s really bad?” Kevin suggested.
“I promised Jenna a ride to work.”
“I can give her a ride her if you want me to. It’s not out of my way,” Kevin offered. He was heading to San Francisco for a seminar and was flying out of LAX a few hours later.
“It’s fine. I have a few things I really need to get done today. I’ll cut my day short if it’s too bad.”
“That sounds like a plan. Don’t push it,” he said as he got Luke’s cervical collar and put it on for him. Then he finished by adjusting the collar of his shirt.
“I won’t,” Luke assured him.
“Well, I’d better get my things together and get going.  See you on Thursday.”
“Hope the trip is a good one,” Luke said as he placed his hand on the joystick of his wheelchair and headed for the kitchen. If his nose wasn’t deceiving him Jenna was cooking French toast for breakfast.
Jenna got ready before Luke like she usually did. He had explained his morning routine to her a while back and she knew it normally took forty-five minutes to an hour, which meant it would be at least fifteen minutes ‘til he was ready. She figured she’d kill the time by making some breakfast and headed to the kitchen to find out what Luke had ingredients for.
Just as she was flipping the final piece of French toast in the frying pan Luke entered the kitchen. The collar around his neck immediately caught her attention.
“Oh no! Is your neck acting up again?” she exclaimed.
“Yeah,” he sighed as he rolled up next to her. “It’s okay babe. It’s something I’ll have to deal with for the rest of my life. The collar helps a lot, but I know it’s not particularly sexy.”
“Is it uncomfortable?” Jenna asked.
“In LA climate gets a bit hot, but other than that it’s actually pretty comfortable.” Then he changed the subject. “Is that French Toast?”
“Yeah, I hope you like it. It’s one of my favorite breakfasts.”
“I like it,” Luke assured her. “I can’t remember the last time I had it though. Kevin is more partial to eggs and bacon and he often cooks us breakfast.”
“Do you want some bacon with yours? I saw some in the fridge.”
“No, jam is fine.”
“Coffee?”
“Yes, please,” he replied as he rolled over and took his place by the kitchen table. Jenna placed a plate with two pieces of French toast with a light spread of raspberry jam on them and a mug of coffee in front of him and returned to the counter to get her own. When she returned to the table Luke was digging into his food hungrily.
“Looks like you like that,” Jenna said as she sat down next to Luke and grabbed her own knife and fork.
“I had forgotten how good French toast is. This is really awesome!” he exclaimed, while still chewing a piece.
“Hey, swallow before you speak,” Jenna scolded him playfully, nudging his arm with her elbow.
“Sorry,” he replied with a sheepish grin. “My mother would have my hide if I did that in front of her.”
Jenna chuckled. “I bet she would. And so would mine.”
When Luke had cleared the most urgent things in his inbox he decided to go home. His neck was hurting and he felt a headache building in the back of his head. With a sigh he dialed Jenna’s number on his desk phone and she picked up quickly.
“Hey, what’s up?” she greeted him.
“I’m going home. My neck is getting worse and I feel a headache, building as well. I know I’m your ride, but I need to take a painkiller; the collar isn’t enough today. I’ll pay for a cab for you.”
“I’m sorry to hear that. And you don’t need to pay a cab for me, I’ll just catch the bus over to your place to get my car later.”
“You’re not spending the night?”
“I don’t want to impose if you’re not feeling well.”
“I’ll probably feel better by the time you get there. A few hours on my back and a prescription painkiller usually helps.”
“If you’re sure I’ll see you later. I’ve got quite a few things I need to do, I was actually about to call you to tell you I’ll have to skip lunch today when you called.”
“Jenna, you need to eat something,” Luke insisted.
“I’ve got a couple of granola bars and a banana. I’ll survive.” Jenna’s tone didn’t leave room for argument, so Luke decided to not argue.
“I’ll see you later. When do you think you’ll be able to leave the office?”
“I hope I’m done by five, but it will probably be closer to six.”
“Just send me a text or call when you leave, okay?”
“I’ll do that. Hope you feel better soon.”
“Thanks, babe. See you later.”
“Jenna, there’s a delivery for you,” Sarah called from the front room they used for meetings with clients.
“Can you just sign for it? I’m kinda’ busy here.” Jenna was in the middle of designing an event invitation and didn’t welcome the distraction.
“He says he’ll only accept your signature.”
“For Christ’s sake…” Jenna muttered as she got up from her chair and walked around her desk. When she reached the door she froze. Luke was sitting in his wheelchair just inside the door with a paper bag and two takeaway cups in a cup holder in his lap.
“I got your regular order; a granola bar and a banana isn’t lunch,” he said with a tired smile. “I hope you don’t mind,” he added when Jenna didn’t move or speak.
“Oh, not at all. Thank you,” she said when she finally found her voice again and hurried across the room to Luke. She took the cup holder and bag from him and placed both on the table in the center of the room. “Which is yours?” she asked, pointing to the coffees.
“They’re identical. And there are two Club Sandwiches in the bag. I got one for you and one for Sarah. I’ll eat something when I get home.”
Jenna suddenly realized that Sarah was in the room and probably waiting for her to introduce her to Luke.
“Oh, sorry, I completely forgot my manners. Luke, this is my friend and business partner Sarah Whitehurst. Sarah, meet my boyfriend Luke Hillbrook.”
“Nice to meet you, Sarah,” Luke said with a smile as he offered his right hand.
“It’s nice to finally meet you, Jenna talks about you all the time,” she said somewhat tensely as she tentatively grasped Lukes hand.
“Sarah, please,” Jenna scoffed. “I don’t talk about you all the time, Luke.”
“Right,” Sarah chuckled.
“Anyway, I’d better get going. Take a break and enjoy your lunch. I hope you like latte and Club Sandwiches too, Sarah.”
“Who doesn’t?” Sarah said. “How much do I owe you?”
“Nothing. It’s my treat,” he replied firmly.
“Thanks, that’s really kind of you,” Sarah replied, clearly taken aback.
“Keep your hands off him, he’s mine,” Jenna grinned as she leaned down and kissed him on the lips. “Thanks, Luke. You saved my afternoon. And Sarah’s too.”
“Hopefully some food will boost your energy and make you work faster so you can leave sooner,” he said with a wink, then he turned his wheelchair around and headed for the door. “See you later.”
Jenna hurried over to hold the door open for him and she kissed him one last time before she bid him goodbye and watched him as he headed to his van. When he rounded the corner she turned and went back inside where Sarah was waiting for her.
“So, you finally got to meet Luke,” she said as she started unpacking the paper bag from Starbuck’s. In addition to two Club Sandwiches it also contained two chocolate chip muffins. “What do you think?”
“He’s handsome and considerate, I’ll give him that. But seriously, Jen. He’s a cripple. You can do better.”
“Can I?” Jenna replied coldly. “Luke may be severely physically disabled, but he’s the best man I’ve ever met. I really don’t think I can do better.”
“You don’t think you can find a guy that’s not strapped into a bulky wheelchair?”
“Don’t be stupid. I know I could find an able bodied guy if I wanted to. The thing is; I don’t want to. I think Luke is the one for me. We’re great together.”
Sarah sighed. “It’s your choice, Jen. Just don’t come asking me for a shoulder to cry on when you realize his disability is too much to deal with.”
Luke had spent the afternoon asleep in bed and he felt much better when Jenna called him and told him she was leaving her office and would be at his house within the hour.
“How are you feeling?” Jenna asked.
“Much better. I’ve spent the afternoon in bed; the headache is gone and as far as I can tell my neck is much better too.”
“That’s good. Anything you need? I can pick it up on my way over.”
“I don’t have couscous if you want to use that as a side for the leftovers from yesterday. Other than that I’m good.”
“Noted. See you soon, Luke.”
“Uh…”
“What?”
“I got a hold of Harry, the PCA that’s coming tonight and he was able to come help me get into bed. He’s not able to come back until 10:30 this evening. I hope you can help me get back into my wheelchair. If not we’ll be having dinner in bed.”
“I think I can do that. We’ll figure it out. See you soon.”

To be continued 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers - any feedback is welcome as long as it's constructive. Thanks for reading! :-)